Friday, January 14, 2011

Feeling Grateful




So as I'm sure most people around the world are aware Brisbane has been through a pretty rough week.

We spent several days waiting for the river to rise, breathing a sigh of relief when it didn't reach it's predicted heights and shocked at the damage that still occurred. Tom and I are so glad it didn't reach our house, we spent Wednesday bringing everything upstairs from the garage and preparing for the power to go out. My two girlfriends had to evacuate (one to my place) and spent a few stressful nights waiting to see if their houses would go under. Thank God neither did.

Clean up is well and truly under way and people are heading to Bris from all over the place to pitch in. Some of the stories that are coming out are heartbreaking while many others make me feel so grateful that I am part of this community.

I have been feeling a bit useless and wanting to help but not knowing where to start, particularly without a car. This woman is co-ordinating baked relief to all the hard workers who are currently cleaning our city. I have started baking and will continue to do so tomorrow. Along with a friend we will bake our hearts out then deliver wherever the food is needed. If you are cleaning tomorrow please let me know and we will drop by with some sustenance.
I am thinking of everyone who has been affected by this disaster, this will be an event we remember for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment